Sunday, April 19, 2009

How to deal with a Pet when baby comes...

With baby makes four! Yes, but my big questions is:
How my beloved big hairy black hyper dog will behave when the baby arrives? I wonder: How he will understand about the baby? When the baby cries, what he will think it is? Does he knows I am pregnant? Will he be jealous of the baby? Will he protect the baby? so many other questions...
For now I can say this... I noticed in the last few months that for some reason since my belly became bigger, he became more protective of me, not allowing stranger to come very close to me, just friends and family (people that he is familiar with) but others, he barks, get in front of me and even for a walk when we go together (not recently as my walk became waddling), he would "stop" and wait for me.. kind of strange since he has so much energy but now it is almost if he knows that he can not pull me and he look at me and wait... Change of behavior.. perhaps he is more sensitive than I thougth..
What you guys think? Any thoughts or stories about dealing with pets and babies? I would love to hear...

4 comments:

Rosie said...

I love the family photo! It will be fun to take the exact photo when your little one is earthside :D
I've heard it recommended that dad take one of the baby's first blankets home after the birth and let the dog become familiar with the baby's smells. Here's a good article:
http://www.womens-health.co.uk/transitions-for-newborns-and-pets.html

Cris Valdez said...

Thanks Rosie. You are great! Will show this to Ma and let's see if it will work. By the way,, no news as she is definitely taking her time.
Should we plan another meeting?
Let me know

Helena said...

Oi linda!
What a cute photo! I think you are right when you say that pets sense the change in our spirit and know that there is another one coming. My cat would actually get up on my stomach and massage my tummy...(she never did this before and has not done this sense I have had the baby)...that was amazing! She is amazing with Theo and lets him pet her and put his head on her. We introduced them very early on...we trusted her and she sensed this and has been only wonderful with Theo, always there for him when he wants to pet her. I am sure yours will be the same, just as she has been protective and extra caring with you.
Beijos,
Helena in OC!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Cris!
What I have heard is that since animals also carry their babies like we do, they are supposed to know when we are pregnant. I think my dog knows since she likes to sleep next to my belly. I'm pretty sure she will be very jealous when the baby arrives, but I'm going to try my best to give them both attention. It's going to be so hard! What I heard is to stop giving so much attention to the dog b/c you're going to have to get them used to it- but that is so difficult. I'm sure they will get used to each other and maybe you and your husband can take turns giving each of the "babies" attention!
xo,
Camey